What a special and incredible opportunity to swim, bike and run in new parts of our beautiful country. We spent 2 days in Mossel Bay and then 2 days in Hermanus.
I had an absolute blast at the 4 Day Embark triathlon Training Camp! We started on Friday evening in Mossel Bay for a team dinner, then the training was full on Saturday morning. We kicked things off by riding the IRONMAN 70.3 90km bike route. We then went for a swim later on in the day and have a team dinner that evening. On Sunday morning, we did a shorter 40km ride and run off the bike, which was a 10km loop of the IRONMAN run course.
It was the perfect check in to see how ready I actually am for my upcoming IRONMAN 70.3 in November. It was also a great way to familiarise ourselves with the riding and running routes and swim course, so that we aren’t going into the unknown on race day! The bike course is amazing, it rolls, it climbs, it's up, it's down, oh, and we saw a giraffe! The surface of the road is great too, so it's going to be fast. The run course is really beautiful and again we saw some majestic wildlife, this time dolphins, a massive pod of what must have been 300 or 400 of them. Really the icing sugar for the 2 days in Mossel Bay.
Then on Sunday, after brunch, we drove to Hermanus for an afternoon swim. We practiced getting through the waves and enjoyed the water. On Monday morning we did a longer ride (80-100km) towards Gordon's Bay and after lunch, we headed out for a cliff path run. Another team dinner for the win.
The final day of the training camp had arrived and we went for our last 40km ride and a run off the bike.
Besides all of the training, it was really fun hanging out with the other Embarkies and getting to know them better. We definitely laughed as much as we trained! See you for the next one! - Dominique Lamon
Here are some more thoughts from the athletes about our training camp -
- Training camp was good for focus and it was nice to ride the 70.3 course. Was also a good opportunity to get to know the other Embarkers. - Jannie Leach
- Amazing way to ramp up training and get confidence on some longer distances with the support of the coach and encouragement from the team! - Tim Merryweather
- Great way to build up some fatigue resistance with back to back longr rides and runs on tired legs - Nix Craddock
- The best part was that it didn’t feel like a tough training weekend when you’re doing what you enjoy with lots of snacks, laughs, and fun moments! - Julia Cassar
- The training camp was a great, healthy way to get out for the long weekend. We traveled to places we wouldn't normally experience and got to train in a safe environment with some like minded people. Plus, we know what to expect for race day. - Jean Lens
- Despite being very anxious and nervous. I managed to train in a great and supportive group and coaches. Would definitely do another one - Craig Wentzel
- Great structured and most importantly safe training for the elements due to the great organized routes and support vehicles, and lifeguards. Gives you a confident feeling. Had a blast in the two Mossel Bay days.- Dirk van Niekerk
- Incrediable weekend filled with laughter, joy and plenty of fitness. - Shaun Swartz